Sunday, June 21, 2009

I am Nobody's Rakhi Brother...

It happened to me once and I have decided not to let it happen again. Not after the agony I endured for a mistake as small as the one I committed that day.
It was a normal day. As usual, some seven years back to be precise.when i was in 10th standard of New Era Public School.I had my breakfast, taken a shower, and lugging my school bag, was off to school. Not that I loved it, but the fact that after almost a night i was going to meet my friends again oh! those were the best days of my life still miss them a lot! anyways, back to the story now...

I had been asked to come early by a one of my batch mates - a girl at that - and I was in no mood to disappoint her.

I walked on. I knew I was smiling. After all, not everyday did a girl come to me and say: “shakeeb, why don’t you come early tomorrow morning.”

Did she want to propose? Did she like me? Though I would have preferred somebody better, she was kinda on the okay side. Actually, I knew beauty is but skin deep. So I decided that I would accept it as soon as she proposed.

I was 14 or 15 at that time and big enough. I qualified as a teenager and I guess it was time I had a girl to call mine. And she was smart … and beautiful.

We in New Era had separate wings one for boys and the other for girls. To reach her classroom, I had to cross the Principal’s office. It was wide open. And I could see him prancing about his room like a curious thanedaar waiting for a thief to take it for an interrogation. I wanted to avoid a lecture from him.

Being a latecomer, I had every chance of getting a lecture from the old man. Somehow, I escaped his early morning warm-up. At that time I had thought lady luck was on my side. Little did I realize that lady luck was like the Red Indians, who believed that only unhurt men qualified for human sacrifices.

Anyways, I moved on and as I entered her classroom, I could see that she was waiting for me. She was alone and if I am not wrong I noticed a glow around her face. Something, that had missed my attention all these days. I knew she wanted to say something important but was just a wee bit hesitant.

Damn i don't know how to start a conversation with a pretty girl... was i nervous who me? na! shakeeb and nervous that was far cry! but what was happening to me that day i was shivering in front of her. There were some stupid things going on in my mind, am i looking cool, am i handsome enough, is my hair well set? though i had put some brylcream on my hair that day and shaved my soft face for the occasion.

I walked towards her. She stood still. She was radiating energy and I could tell that she was working wonders on me. I moved closer. Her innocence showed. Through the corner of my eyes I saw that her bag was open and a greeting card was neatly placed next to it. My heart started pounding. Was it a heart shaped card? oh my God i am going to receive my first proposal of life... Is she going to give it to me?

She smiled. Something was amiss. And then she asked, “shakeeb, will you be my brother.” Brother!!! i was dumb silent after a long pause of about a minute or so i gulped my whole saliva which was swimming in my mouth due to the excitement, Brother!!! ah aa! ahumm ahum ahum... why not sure!anything for you si.. sis... sister. "oh thanks a lot shakeeb you know you are the sweetest person i have ever met, you are so well behaved and you never misbehave with anyone in the bus. i Knew you are a perfect gentlemen." Thanks a lot si..sister."will you please do me a favor". ya sure why not sister anything for you."could you please pass this greeting card to your friend Faheem please, i guess he is your best friend na".(me with my whole jaw wide open!) ya he is my best pal, sure i will pass it to him. She no longer seemed innocent!.......

Alec Smart said : believe in everything , Trust Nothing.
Shakeeb replied: Trust everybody but Girls! excuse me!.

written by : Shakeeb Ashai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will Encourage me to post more stuff! Thanks for the comment

Visit My New Website!

visit KoshurPinta.com my 1st interactive website cum blog. visit www.koshurpinta.com